Scheduling a marrow donor registration drive is a terrific way to offer hope to the thousands of patients in need of an unrelated marrow or stem cell donor.
- Every year, more than 30,000 patients are diagnosed with diseases treatable by a bone marrow or blood stem cell transplant - many will die while waiting for a suitably matched donor to be found.
- Diseases treated with stem cell transplant include leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, aplastic anemia and other cancers and genetic diseases.
- Scheduling a donor registration drive takes very little time. Primarily, we need a commitment of space and a willingness to help save lives.
- Prospective donors spend only a few minutes registering to make a difference. They will read through some information, ask and answer some questions and collect some cheek cells using a mouth swab. A blood test is not needed to register.
- CRIR staff takes care of facilitating the donor registration drive and providing all of the necessary education and supplies. As a coordinator of the drive, you would only be responsible for securing space and assisting in publicizing the event, as needed.
- Think creatively about whom you can recruit when scheduling donor registration drives. You can assist us in scheduling a drive at your place of business, school, community center or place of worship. We have worked with groups with as few as five participants to as many as 1,000 participants.
- With your commitment and our experience, we can work together to make any marrow donor registration drive successful.